We’re excited to begin leveraging Instagram Reels: a new way for anyone — people, creators and businesses — to create and discover short, entertaining videos on Instagram.
With Reels, you can record and edit 15-second multi-clip videos with audio, effects and new creative tools. Reels allow people to express themselves while entertaining others, whether that’s trying out a new dance or spreading the message on something they care about.
Reels can be shared in Feed, and reels from public accounts are eligible to be discovered through a new space in Explore. Sharing to Reels in Explore means they may appear there and be visible to a larger audience. If your account is private, only your followers will be able to view your reels.
How it Works
Select Reels at the bottom of the Instagram camera. You’ll see a variety of creative editing tools on the left side of your screen that you can use to create your reel, including:
- Audio: Search for a song from the Instagram music library for your reel. While some businesses may not have access to the Instagram music library due to commercial music rights restrictions, people and businesses can also use their own original audio by simply recording a reel with it. When you share a reel with original audio, your audio will be attributed to you, and if you have a public account, people can create reels with your audio by selecting Use Audio from your reel. For example, if you record a reel with a voiceover product tutorial, others can tap Use Audio from your reel, and use your audio to make their own versions of the video.
- AR Effects: Select one of the many effects in our effect gallery, created both by Instagram and creators all over the world, to record multiple clips with different effects. For example, use the Green Screen effect to superimpose your product in unexpected places that inspire your audience
- Timer and Countdown: Set the timer to record any of your clips hands-free. Once you press record, you’ll see a 3-2-1 countdown.
- Align: Line up objects from your previous clip before recording your next, which helps create seamless transitions for moments like outfit changes.
- Speed: Choose to speed up or slow down part of the video or audio you selected.
Reels can be recorded in a series of clips (one at a time), all at once, or using video uploads from your gallery. Record the first clip by pressing and holding the capture button. You’ll see a progress indicator at the top of the screen as you record. Stop recording to end each clip.
If your account is public, you can share your reel to a dedicated space in Explore, where it has the chance to be seen and discovered by the wider Instagram community. You can also share your reel with your followers by posting it to your Feed. When you share reels featuring certain audio, hashtags, or effects, your reel may also appear on dedicated pages whenever someone clicks on that audio, hashtag, or effect. After you share your reel, it will live on a separate Reels tab on your profile, where people can find the reels you’ve shared. If you also share to your Feed, your reel will appear on your main profile grid. Whether you have a public or private account, you can share your reel to your Story. If you opt to do so, your reel will behave like a regular Story — it will not be shared to Reels in Explore, will not appear on your profile and will disappear after 24 hours.
Reels in Explore showcases the best of trending culture on Instagram. Discover an entertaining selection of reels made by anyone on Instagram, in a personalized vertical feed.
You’ll also see some Reels with a Featured label. Featured Reels are a selection of reels chosen by curators at Instagram to help Instagram users discover original content we hope will entertain or inspire them.
For more information on ways to amplify and elevate your brand’s Instagram, contact our Social Media Marketing team.